www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

Connellsville, PA History

Information Images

Articles
- One of our First Veterans
- Colonel William Crawford's Cabin
- A Town Begins
- Became a Booming Manufacturing Town
- John Woodruff, Connellsville's Olympic Champion
- Stewart's Crossing
- Zachariah Connell
- Streetcars in Connellsville
1956 Souvenir Program
- As Time Marches On - 1
- As Time Marches On - 2
- As Time Marches On - 3
- As Time Marches On - 4
- First White Settlers
- First City of Fayette County
- Monument Honors Pioneer Hero
- Zach Connell May Come Home
- Coke Became KING Here
- Generations To Come
- City Keeps Abreast Of Air Age
- For Comfort Of All
- Walking Tour

Connellsville Became a Booming Manufacturing Town

The proximity to the head of navigation on the Youghiogheny River assured the new settlement of a steady business of flat boat building. As more people settled in this area, enterprising men started businesses to supply the population with the items needed for a growing economy. All the necessary supplies for daily living were beginning to be made by cottage industries. Grist Mills and sawmills were among the first industries needed.

Boat building was an important industry for 50 years, with much of the lumber being supplied by the McCormick Sawmill that had been built prior to 1794. Raw materials were found in the needed quantities to have many iron furnaces. Charcoal made from the abundant forests was needed for the furnaces.

An outgrowth of the iron industry was the nail making industry. The first spike machine made in Pennsylvania was made here by Norton & Stewart Company. James and Campbell Johnston started two nail shops soon after they arrived here in 1818.

The first tannery was built by Anthony Banning, an itinerant Methodist preacher, between 1791 and 1799. The first house made of locally produced brick was built by Mr. Banning shortly after the town was started. By 1823, David Barnes had a brickyard that made brick for the town, and Joseph Soisson started making firebrick for the coke ovens in 1865. Artificial stone was made by a company in "Dutch Bottom."

Carriages and road wagons were made in 1839. Many diverse industries have been located here: chemical products, lumbering, candy, tin plate, locks, automobiles, locomotives, safes, cotton, woolen and silk mills, aluminum coating, flint glass, breweries and distilleries.

The boat building industry had to compete with the railroad for cargoes. With the building of many more railroads, the rates for shipping soon made it a more feasible method of transporting goods to market. Shipping by river could be slow and hazardous. Over the years, many rail lines have used the Youghiogheny River valley as a route from Pittsburgh to the south and east. At various times during its history, Connellsville has been served by the following railroads: Pittsburgh and Connellsville Railroad, Baltimore & Ohio, Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, Western Maryland, Pennsylvania Central, Pittsburgh, McKeesport & Youghiogheny, Norfolk & Western, and Pittsburgh & West Virginia. The only remaining carriers are the Chessie System (Baltimore & Ohio) and Amtrak.

Provided by the Connellsville Area Historical Society. Added to the site on February 2, 2000.

Information Images

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.