William Stewart settled on the western shore of the Youghiogheny River, which area is now considered the "West Side" of Connellsville in 1753, approximately at the same time Gist settled on his "Mt. Braddock" home site. Area was known as "Stewart's Crossing" for many years. It was situated on the western shore of the Youghiogheny River close to the emptying of Opossum Run – at a point slightly north of the Mountz Creek entry into the Youghiogheny on it's eastern shore.
The site of Stewart's Crossing was made notable by the events which took place there, e.g. Braddock's Expedition crossed the river at the site of Stewart's Crossing.* The depth of the river at the time of Braddock's Expedition was only 3 feet and it was 200 yards wide and in a direct line to where he wanted to be on the eastern shore to allow him to follow the Indian path – part of the Catawba Path. Essentially the same as in 1753 – the environment is very pleasing and accessible since the creation of the Yough River Park. Site owned by the city of Connellsville. Activities available – fishing, swimming, canoeing, and local festivities with plans for the bike-hike trail to use the location as it's origin.
* A center of activities by the inhabitants of that time who used the river as an abundant water supply and also for transportation. Braddock's Trail interest could be encouraged and perhaps brought to sustain development for it is not privately owned.
A letter from George Washington to Colonel William Crawford was addressed to him at "Stewart's Crossing."
Provided by the Connellsville Area Historical Society. Added to the site on February 2, 2000.