www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

Connellsville, PA History

Information Images

Articles
- One of our First Veterans
- Colonel William Crawford's Cabin
- A Town Begins
- Became a Booming Manufacturing Town
- John Woodruff, Connellsville's Olympic Champion
- Stewart's Crossing
- Zachariah Connell
- Streetcars in Connellsville
1956 Souvenir Program
- As Time Marches On - 1
- As Time Marches On - 2
- As Time Marches On - 3
- As Time Marches On - 4
- First White Settlers
- First City of Fayette County
- Monument Honors Pioneer Hero
- Zach Connell May Come Home
- Coke Became KING Here
- Generations To Come
- City Keeps Abreast Of Air Age
- For Comfort Of All
- Walking Tour

Streetcars in Connellsville

West Penn Terminal Building on Arch Street
West Penn Terminal Building on Arch Street

The first streetcar company in Connellsville was the Connellsville, New Haven and Leisenring Street Railway Co., chartered May 9, 1891, by the same parties who chartered the Uniontown Street Railway Co., supplemented with aid from citizens of Connellsville. It extended from Main St., Connellsville, on a bridge over the Youghiogheny River, through New Haven and Dunbar Township, to a point on Mud Pike about a mile from Leisenring No. 3, a distance of approximately 4 miles.

Streetcar on Race Street
Streetcar on Race Street

The second company chartered at Connellsville was the Connellsville Suburban Street Railway Co., chartered by citizens of Connellsville, Lancaster and Pittsburgh PA., on September 15, 1896, extending from Main Street Connellsville to South Connellsville, approximately 2.5 miles. This was the only railway in the system other than that at Kittanning constructed with 4' 8.5" gauge track, and in 1903 it was changed to a gauge of 5' 2.5", the same as track of the other railways. The stock in this company was purchased by the West Penn Railway and Lighting Syndicate on September 24, 1902.

End of the Line in South Connellsville
End of the Line in South Connellsville

This photo shows the end of the line for the trolley cars in South Connellsville. The conductor of the car is flipping the box to head back to Connellsville.

The line extension in South Connellsville was important to Capstan Glass workers (later changed to Anchor Hocking) for transportation to and from work. The workers would then walk down from Pittsburgh Street on a path walkway to what is now Anchor Glass.

People from South Connellsville used them to travel into town for various purposes such as shopping. Run time was every 15 minutes along the 2.2 mile route, 30 minutes in the evenings. The time between Main Street in Connellsville and the end of the line in South Connellsville was about 15 minutes.

The line beginning from its termination in South Connellsville: Pittsburgh Street Up Woodlawn Ave. Race Street until Green Street and down to Arch Street to the West Penn Terminal off of East Crawford Avenue (then Main Street)

Provided by the Connellsville Area Historical Society. Added to the site on February 2, 2000.

Information Images

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.