www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

South Connellsville, PA History

Articles
- The Founding
- Land Settlements & Divisions
- Begins to Flourish
- Beginning of Industry
- Factories
- Utilities
- First Glass House
- Stone Quarries
- Casparis Community
- Railroad Stockyards
- Schools
- Churches
- Soisson Park & Transportation
- Borough of South Connellsville
- Fire Department
- Growth

- Picture Index

Factories of South Connellsville

Baldwin Steamer
Baldwin Steamer

More houses would be built for the people who would come to work in the manufacturing plants, but they would be neither as elaborate nor as individualistic as Reidmore or the "Boulders". But the community of White Rock or Gibson, as some called it, would thrive in the era of the late 1800's, and people who came here to secure employment in the factories would stay and become the first generations to add their names to school and church records and to the community memorial.

The first of many plants to be built on land acquired by the Connellsville Extension Company was the Humbert Tin Plate Mill. It was erected in 1896 and consisted of six mills with complete annealing and tinning equipment and provided jobs for four hundred fifty men. It was located where Anchor Hocking now stands and the company office was later to be used as Humbert School. The Humbert Tin Plate Mill was purchased by the American Sheet and Tin Plate Company, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, and was moved to Morgantown, West Virginia.

Also situated in South Connellsville at the turn of the century was the Slaymaker-Barry Plant which was then the largest lock making factory in the world. It was established in 1896 and was operated successfully until 1898 when it was almost completely destroyed by fire. The plant employed over two hundred men and boys but was abandoned after the fire. However, the Slaymaker-Barry Plant was to build again in Eastern Pennsylvania.

In 1900 the Baldwin Auto Company was to rebuild a factory on the site of the former Slaymaker-Barry Plant and manufacture all parts of a steam propelled auto, except wheels, tired and bodies. The Baldwin Automobile Company was quite large with a main building that consisted of a machine shop, a boiler house, complete iron and brass foundaries, a hammer shop, and rooms to build the automobile. The Baldwin Company employed close to two hundred men who worked mostly as mechanics, but the country was not ready for a steam-propelled auto, and the factory closed. However, many swings gracing the front porches of the community at the turn of the century were from the Baldwin steam-propelled auto.

In the early 1900's industry still flourished in South Connellsville and among the new factories was the Pittsburgh Safe Company. It was built in 1902 on ground acquired from Joseph Soisson and was located where Anchor Hocking Cap Plant now stands. The factory had two main buildings, a blacksmith shop, and a cabinet room that extended into a court off the two main structures. About ten safes were turned out each day by approximately ninety-five employees.

Back Next

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.