www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

South Connellsville, PA History

Articles
- The Founding
- Land Settlements & Divisions
- Begins to Flourish
- Beginning of Industry
- Factories
- Utilities
- First Glass House
- Stone Quarries
- Casparis Community
- Railroad Stockyards
- Schools
- Churches
- Soisson Park & Transportation
- Borough of South Connellsville
- Fire Department
- Growth

- Picture Index

Stone Quarries

Casparis Caverns in 1931
Casparis Caverns in 1931

South Connellsville also had a number of stone quarries that produced jobs for the people of the community in early years. The first quarry was opened in 1870 in the South Connellsville area. In 1965 the South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club purchased the property and now has a shooting range located in the quarry. Some of the stone mined from the quarry was used to pave Forbes Avenue in Pittsburgh and is still in use there after one hundred years.

The second quarry located a mile or two above the first quarry was managed by a man named Joyce. It was commonly called "Joyce's Tipple" and was later purchased by Pete Opperman. The third quarry opened was well known and is still called by the Casparis name. Kenneth Casparis purchased the acreage where the stone was located and also the Charles Hampshire Farm in 1916 and started the Casparis Quarry.

Back Next

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.