www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

South Connellsville, PA History

Articles
- The Founding
- Land Settlements & Divisions
- Begins to Flourish
- Beginning of Industry
- Factories
- Utilities
- First Glass House
- Stone Quarries
- Casparis Community
- Railroad Stockyards
- Schools
- Churches
- Soisson Park & Transportation
- Borough of South Connellsville
- Fire Department
- Growth

- Picture Index

Railroad Stockyards

South Connellsville Stockyards
South Connellsville Stockyards

The stockyards built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company in the early 1900's gave employment to many men in the South Connellsville area. The stockyards bordered the Youghiogheny River and the B & O Railroad tracks. With the advent of the railroads and shipping of livestock from the Midwest, the facility was needed to feed, water and rest the animals. There were approximately one hundred open pens for cattle and a number of covered pens for sheep and hogs. Over two thousand cars of livestock were fed and watered per month at the stockyards in South Connellsville. The yards were closed about 1967 when the livestock was prepared for market in the Midwest and the meat was shipped by refrigeration cars.

Back Next

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.