www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

South Connellsville, PA History

Articles
- The Founding
- Land Settlements & Divisions
- Begins to Flourish
- Beginning of Industry
- Factories
- Utilities
- First Glass House
- Stone Quarries
- Casparis Community
- Railroad Stockyards
- Schools
- Churches
- Soisson Park & Transportation
- Borough of South Connellsville
- Fire Department
- Growth

- Picture Index

Soisson Park & Transportation

Soisson Park
Soisson Park

People worked for long hours in those times, but there was still time for leisure, and a landmark of the early 1900's was Soisson Park, advertised as "The People's Pleasure Retreat". Soisson Park was the perfect place for a family picnic, a church meeting, or for people to enjoy each other's company. The lush green foliage and ferns of Longabough Hollow, the meandering creek, a tree on which to carve initials of a favorite girl: all these made Soisson Park a welcome respite from a week's work or daily duties. Soisson Park also had performing acts, rides a dance pavilion, an ice cream stand, and boating on a small lake where in the winter, ice skating was enjoyed. Streetcars and "summer cars" of the Connellsville Suburban Street Railway ran frequently from Connellsville to Soisson Park via Arch, Green, Race, Woodlawn and Pittsburgh Streets.

Soisson Park
Soisson Park

Travel then was neither as convenient nor as fast as we know it today, but many a wagon came over the roads and travelled south on what is now Hyndman Street, then up Allegheny Avenue and over the mountain to Indian Creek, a thriving community of the day. The road on which people travelled was called the Indian Creek Road. There were no paved roads in the borough in 1917 and not until 1924 was Pittsburgh Street paved. Pittsburgh Street to Pine Street was commonly called "Yowler's Mortar Box" because of the muddy conditions. C.D. Yowler was the street foreman at the time.

Summer Street Car, taken about 1910
Summer Street Car, taken about 1910

Back Next

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.