www.Fay-West.com Logo

Connellsville and South Connellsville

www.fay-west.com
www.Fay-West.com
Connellsville and South Connellsville Ohiopyle State Park Youghiogheny River and Trail
About Contact Fayette County Westmoreland County Somerset County
Home Pictures Towns Places Other Info Interact
Connellsville and South Connellsville
- Discussion Board
- Classmate Registry
- Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Guestbook
- South Connellsville
- History
- Pictures
- Casparis

South Connellsville, PA History

Articles
- The Founding
- Land Settlements & Divisions
- Begins to Flourish
- Beginning of Industry
- Factories
- Utilities
- First Glass House
- Stone Quarries
- Casparis Community
- Railroad Stockyards
- Schools
- Churches
- Soisson Park & Transportation
- Borough of South Connellsville
- Fire Department
- Growth

- Picture Index

Fire Department

South Connellsville Volunteer Fire Department
South Connellsville Volunteer Fire Department

A short time later, forward-looking citizens realized the need for a fire department in the borough and on September 14, 1914, the South Connellsville Volunteer Fire Department was organized. It consisted of three different companies. The borough purchased two chemical engines and one hook and ladder. The chemical engines cost $337 each and the hook and ladder, $479. All were pulled by hand. A chemical engine and the hook and ladder were kept in the basement of the school and the other chemical engine in a shed near the corner of Pittsburgh Street and Park Avenue. The School basement was used for meetings until 1915 when the fire department built their first fire station on Marie Street. The station remained in that location until the building known as the "Big Top" was demolished in 1956 and the present fire station built.

In 1917 the first motor-driven equipment was purchased. It was a large Stevens Cochran Estate. The body of the car was removed and a fire truck body built on it. Shortly after this, fire hydrants were installed in the borough and the three separate companies united. In 1941 the first ambulance was purchased. In 1942 the fire company purchased the Atlas Hotel on Pittsburgh Street and used it as their club headquarters until the present building was erected in 1969. At present the South Connellsville Fire Company has in service, two fire trucks, two ambulances, two squad trucks and two boats. The fire company has been active in civic affairs since its founding. Shortly after the First World War, the fire company raised funds for a monument commemorating South Connellsville citizens who had served in that war. The South Connellsville Playground was leased for many years by the fire company and purchased by them in 1949. It is still maintained by them. They sponsor a number of baseball, softball and football teams in the community. Annual Christmas treats are given to elementary school children of South Connellsville and treats are also given to mummers in the annual Halloween Parade.

Back Next

 
www.Fay-West.com © 1997-2005 Fay-West.com. All rights reserved.
Link to Us | Copyright Statement | About | Contact
Web site designed, programmed, created, and published by Michael D. McCumber.